Media for Justice and Peace
Happy Valentines Day
A Valentine Thank You to All Who Read and Support Rise Up Times!
New Posts for February 14, 2022
Use the buttons above to share
…and when we speak we are afraid
our words will not be heard
but when we are silent
we are still afraidSo it is better to speak
we were never meant to survive
From “A Litany for Survival”
- Meet the Big 5: How the Military-Industrial Complex Controls Politics
- Making the Connections: Militarism, Climate Chaos, and the Environment
- Banning books and ideas meant to ban democracy itself, by Henry Giroux
- Greenwald, The Neocons’ Primary War Tactic: Branding Opponents of U.S. Intervention as Traitors
- “Takeover”: Young Lords’ Juan González on Hospital Protest Doc. Shortlisted for Academy Award
- Andrew Bacevich, A Very Long War: From Vietnam to Afghanistan with Detours Along the Way
- Second George Floyd Murder Trial Begins, by Susu Jeffrey
- Democracy Now! Ralph Nader: Biden’s First Year Proves He Is Still a “Corporate Socialist” Beholden to Big Business, with Katrina vanden Heuvel
- Ukraine: Mike Madden, Media; DN!: Katrina vanden Heuvel, War Danger; Blinken Meets with Russian Counterpart
- Remembering bell hooks, a Revolutionary Who Led With Love, by Barbara Ransby
- Rise Up Times, Media for Justice and Peace, January 19, 2022
Please share articles widely!
Making the Connections:
Militarism, Climate Chaos, and the Environment
A WAMM Zoom program, with Sue Ann Martinson
Endless war and militarism cannot continue and leave a livable planet.
Colonial extractions of resources are the root of the climate crisis.
Ilincluding: Effects of neoliberal capitalism, U.S. empire, and militarization: U.S. Mitary Bases worldwide, Climate Chaos and Colonization—U.S. occupation of/war with indigenous and sovereign lands, Fossil Fuels, Water Pollution, Nuclear War, Agent Orange and Burn Pits, Superfund Sites, and more.Sue Ann Martinson is a long-time member of WAMM. In 2018 she created and presented a slideshow on Militarism and Climate Change. This new slideshow is updated with new information. Sue Ann is the editor of Rise Up Times, Media for Justice and Peace (Riseuptimes.org
A recording of a program originally on Zoom and Facebook
on February 5, 2022
1:00 pm to 2:3O pm CST
Sponsored by WAMM’s End Military Madness Against the Earth working group (EMMAE) and co-sponsored by Veterans for Peace Chapter 27.Also available to view on WAMM’s Facebook page and YouTube channel.
Are you on Facebook?
Be sure to visit Rise Up Times Facebook page
for even more articles and posts by Rise Up Times and by Coleen Rowley. Events, webinars and Zooms are posted on my personal Facebook page, Sue Ann Martinson
(the raised hand with the pen).
A Note From Rise Up Times
Global and local peace and justice for all.
Be engaged in activism
As COVID restrictions still limit participation in many “live” events we are gathering as we can and we are still on the web/social media with webinars, Zooms, and action announcements and emails, writing online comments and signing petitions, in car caravans, holding the courts accountable with online comments, virtual engagement with legislators, and over a virtual or real cup of coffee or a virtual or real neighborhood conversation, everywhere. And in touch by phone. Many of us are on the streets protesting war, racism, inaction on the climate crisis, attacks on the Palestinian people, and demanding police accountability and criminal justice reform and other worthy causes.
For over ten years Rise Up Times has spoken, bringing you articles of substance about issues of substance.
Rise Up Times publishes articles and information about issues that affect our lives daily and are a basis for action. A gift of $25 will make it possible to continue to bring you stories, actions, and events as well as thoughtful reflections and analyses.
Rise Up Times publishes writers who provide insights and knowledge that are a basis for informed action, whether on the streets or signing petitions, writing letters to the editor, talking to legislators, or otherwise engaging in transformative nonviolent actions to make change.
Subscribe to RiseUpTimes.org Support independent media. Please donate today and share articles widely.
“Power is global and politics is local. That must change. We need a new language for understanding new global power formations as well as new international modes of politics to fight them. Social movements must move outside of national boundaries and join with others across the globe to fight the savagery of neoliberal global politics and central to such a task is the work of intellectuals, artists, cultural workers, and others who can fashion new tools and social movements in the fight against the current anti-democratic threats being imposed all over the globe.”
—Henry A. Giroux
ABOLISH NUCLEAR WEAPONS
The ‘apocalyptic’ chess game between the superpowers that is, between those that move on the highest plane of our civilization, is being played according to the rule ‘if either “wins” it is the end of both’; it is a game that bears no resemblance to whatever war games preceded it. Its ‘rational’ goal is deterrence, not victory, and the arms race, no longer a preparation for war, can now be justified only on the grounds that more and more deterrence is the best guarantee of peace. To the question how shall we ever be able to extricate ourselves from the obvious insanity of this position there is no answer.”
— Hannah Arendt in On Violence
WHY ACT NOW? Support the Treaty on the Prohibition of Nuclear Weapons and sign the Parliamentary (Legislative) Pledge. Click the WAMM link above for more information.
Would you like to help spread awareness and action about nuclear weapons? Information and action steps are available FREE in the form of two-sided cards on cardstock.
- Call 612-827-5364 to schedule a pick up at the WAMM office, 4200 Cedar Ave. S., Suite 3, Minneapolis. 55407
- Packages of 50 can be sent to you via USPS for a $10 donation.
“Resistance is no longer an option, it is now a matter of life or death. The lights are going out on democracy across the globe and the time to wake up from this nightmare is now.”
— Henry A. Giroux
Ways to help spread the word about RiseUpTimes.org
Rise Up Times has no paid advertising but relies on word-of-mouth and social media to get the word out. Here are some ideas about how to help:
Tell your friends about Rise Up Times
Forward articles, songs, or visuals to your friends and family and encourage them to:
Subscribe: Enter your email in the place provided in the right column of the RiseUpTimes.org website. You will receive an email notice when blogs are posted.
- Include a link to RiseUpTimes.org on your website or in your emails
- Re-publish, re-blog, re-post, or share articles, songs or visuals that you particularly like on your own blog Facebook page, Twitter, or other social media.
- Rise Up Times has the following accounts besides the main blog (RiseUpTimes.org): Visit, and encourage your friends to visit, the
- RiseUpTimes Facebook page or the Tumblr, Linked In, Pinterest, RiseUpTimes pages.
- ·Articles can also be shared from the social media listed above, as well as from RiseUpTimes.org.
- Retweet from Rise Up Times Twitter account, @touchpeace.
- Print copies of articles or visuals in Rise Up Times and leave them in your favorite bookstore, coffee shop, etc
Thank you for your help and support!
The contents of Rise Up Times may or may not reflect the views of the editor. Articles are chosen for publication or republication based on the interest of our readers. Rise Up Times republishes stories from a number of other independent news sources as well as original articles.